Okay friends, we're going public with some terrific news. God has given us an amazing opportunity to grow our family through adoption once again. A 3 year old child in India has captured our hearts, and we're beginning the process to bring him HOME.
We know this is big, crazy news, but we are confident this is right for our family. For me, I really hoped that Dosen would not be our only adoption experience, but Jake will tell you that he was quite content with our 2 fantastic boys. I imagined that we would go back to Ethiopia for a waiting child (those above infant age) or a sibling group, but Jake felt that if we adopted again, we should be open to any country. I suppose we were were both right!
I get alerts from Rainbow Kids--this enormous bulletin board of stories about children in need of adoption--and unless you're ready to be consumed with stories of the most precious children, I don't recommend subscribing. Well after telling Jake about 53 different children that we just HAD to consider, I got the memo that he was ready for me to cool it. Until Vismay...
I casually mentioned a recent post about a child with some special needs and left the description up on my computer for Jake to read. To my surprise he did read it, and immediately (but casually, of course) said I should check into it. In fact, an hour later he asked if I had called yet! However, the information did not indicate this child's country, so for several days we had no idea where God was possibly taking us!
That was mid-February, and now at the end of March we're about to tackle another home study and dossier to bring this wonderful treasure into our family. I cannot post pictures since he isn't legally ours yet, but please trust that there is no shortage of flouride or colgate in India! He has the biggest perfect white smile with sparkling brown eyes to match.
We had a special dinner to tell Luke, but we had been putting out feelers for his response for weeks. He responded to the official news with a combination of "Why me?" and "Yippee!" We told him all about Vismay, and we agreed as a family that his name will be Vismay Patton (my maiden name) Stum. The caregivers in India call him Vee, and Luke thought that was great. I think it will stick here, too. Meanwhile Dosen was just concerned with another helping of potatoes. Oh, brother schmother.
My favorite moment of the big announcement came that night as Jake and Luke were praying for Vee before bed. Jake explained that Vismay has no parents to care for him. Without any hesitation Luke responded with, "Well he does now!"
Lord willing, Luke is right.
13 comments:
Yay for new brothers! I can't wait to see this little guy.
I am so happy for you guys. What a lucky boy. My heart is full of joy because of your family.
AWESOME NEWS!!!!! Merica this is so great! I can't wait to see little Vee. Any clue when he would come home? Maybe by July when I come to Cleveland!?!?!
:) You already know how we feel!!! I'm gonna have a curry nephew - or son in law! haha!
Merica,
I don't know if you'll remember me...but my name was Megan Hart (now Megan Graves) and my claim to fame in your memory just might be that you had another friend from high school or college that looked just like me :0) I was in your youth group at Life Christian in OKC circa 1996-98. I recently found Jake on facebook and he posted about your blog. It is such a JOY to read about your endeavors into parenthood!! God bless you guys and your evolving family!!! I'm so glad I found you again :0)
Congratulations! That is wonderful news. Love Luke's comments about Vee now having parents to love and care for him. Luke and Dosen will be awesome big brothers! Keeping your family in our prayers during this exciting time in your lives.
we love vee already!!!! luke is too precious...vee's got parents, and aunties and uncles and lots of ET cousins who can't wait to meet him! you guys are so inspiring!!! india rocks!
I'm SO happy for you guys!!! You guys will be the adoption pros by the end of this and will have plenty of great advise for future adopters:-) (ie. hopefully us one day:-) Can't wait to see pictures!
Oh, sweet family, we are so delighted to hear your news!! More of God's family at your table! How awesome!!
Love, The Tucker Family
I know I told you in person... but congratulations!!!
I'm late in congratulating you, I had heard through the AW grapevine that you were adopting again and just had to find out for myself. Your blog address has eluded me for a while (I was probably in the middle of something ridiculous like going to Ethiopia or some medical anomaly when you started bloggin here). I'm so excited for you guys and will follow your advice and only forward on the rainbow kids updates to friends who are thinking of adopting--never opening the emails myself :) Josiah still looks just like Dosen--the only two chunky babies at the TH.
Congratulations-we will pray that all goes smoothly (even if you have no clue what you are doing).
apryl
Realizing that I may need to clarify--you don't know what you are doing with paperwork--certainly you are well aware of everything else :) Sheesh-not a word from me in months and two comments in one night.
apryl
Post a Comment