Team Stum

Team Stum

Friday, January 29, 2010

Long before and long after the earthquake

I know we've been so bombarded with images of the earthquake aftermath that it is easy to become desensitized to this real and unspeakable tragedy. But as it is with a gracious God, this disaster has brought awareness to a people DESPERATELY in need of our attention now and after the rubble is cleared. I'm so thankful for the many who were already deeply invested in bringing daily relief to this poverty-stricken, depraved, and seemingly imploding nation. The Restavek Foundation is one such group. Restavek, literally meaning "to keep," is a name given to unpaid child laborers--slaves. And if we think that an earthquake suddenly brought an end to child slavery, we're sadly mistaken.

Please read a better explanation from my friend, Vanessa.

You've probably already made a donation to a reputable agency, but if you have means to do more, please consider this foundation. Their work is far from over, but may this terrible situation be a catalyst for real and lasting change for the precious castaway children in Haiti.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Thanks for sharing this, Merica.

Tracy said...

Thank you Merica! So thankful to know about this ministry!

Joanna said...

Thank you for sharing Merica! A year ago, I heard Jean speak- I think during Justice Week at Lee. I just went to their website after reading your blog and saw that their home office was in my area. I've already signed up to volunteer. Thanks again! Joanna