Team Stum

Team Stum

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Can't help it

Please don't think I'm under the illusion that I have something grand or profound to say about today's incredible event. I just can't help but to put some words down if only for my own opportunity to process it--to celebrate it.

We elected a black man to be our President today. A young, relatively inexperienced man. A man with a most non-American name. A man with a vibrant and whole family. A man whose daughters looked at him as if it were any other day with their dad. How amazing that we are alive to witness this!? The unknowns are plenty, but I'm convinced that God is in no way surprised. He is in control today as He was yesterday and as He will be tomorrow.

This week also marks one year home with Dosen, so I think it made today even more significant. It isn't special because Dosen and President Obama both have "brown skin" as Luke says, but because today represents hope realized for so many people. Dosen's story is a story of hope. It is his story, and I won't share the details because they are not mine to share. But I can say that we visited a place significant to his rescue, and I remain overwhelmed that the God of this universe kept him from harm, moved on the hearts of bystanders to call for help, provided months of care and shelter by the hands of loving women, AND matched him with a family thousands of miles away who is completely nuts over his every move. He has any conceivable opportunity to dream, work, and achieve because of the hope of his caretakers and our hope that God would grow our family through adoption.

Hope is huge. May God bless the work of our new President. May God hold this man to the promises he made today. May God hold His church accountable to be loving ambassadors of the hope we've been given.

5 comments:

Jake said...

ditto
And I love you.

Alison said...

pretty sure I squeezed out a tear

Naomi said...

geez, Meri. I'm a little misty.

Tracy said...

amen merica!!! your words said it beautifully!!! give dosen a big (rsv free) kiss from levi!! :)

Anonymous said...

One year with Dosen! That's a reason to celebrate and an awesome reminder of how God's hand is on every little detail of our lives. Your family is richly blessed.
My favorite part of Tuesday's festivities had to be when Sasha gave her dad a "thumbs up".
~Tonia