I'd rather read ketchup bottle labels than read a novel. Hand me a non-fiction book on almost any subject, and I'll be thrilled. The idea of forcing myself to embrace a story that never happened is just odious to me. Sadly I figured this out about 3/4 of my way through an English degree. I'm almost sure my completed novel count since graduation is under 10.
Enter author, Tom Davis. I've heard of him a few times, and some friends have links to him on their blog pages. He has Fields of the Fatherless and Red Letters to his credit, but they are non-fiction. This man has come face-to-face with the orphan crisis like few have, and his heart for these children--and all oppressed people groups--is very inspiring. I saw that he had a new book coming out, and I thought I'd support it. Somehow I entirely missed the fact that it was a novel even though the title clearly states: Scared: A NOVEL on the Edge of the World. I'm a dufus.
Holy cow, people. I know I'm really partial to anything concerning Africa, but I tore through this book and only put it down until I could see through the tears to keep going. Started at 11pm last night, and I read the last page at 2:52 am. Davis tells the story of the devastation of the AIDS/HIV epidemic in Swaziland through an unbelieving, jaded America photojournalist and a young village girl--both of whom have life experiences that would leave even the strongest person justifiably huddled in a corner. The book is perfectly contradictory with its beauty and harshness (just like Africa), but the reality of the Swazi orphans was gut-wrenching. I think fiction worked so well because we are inundated with crises of every make and model, especially concerning children, that we can't take it in anymore. Getting a perspective on what desperation and disease can do to a community through the lens of an 11-12 year old child who has no other choice but to assume the role of parent to her 5 and 2 year old siblings changes everything.
And even if I wanted to wake up this morning and shrug that burden off as something that happened somewhere far away and a long time ago, fat chance. Jake has been picking up three children for VBS this week who've just gripped his heart, but after loading the first two in the car this morning, the unphased parent of the 3rd said, "I haven't seen him. I'm not sure where he slept last night?" Are you kidding me? Your 7 year old was dropped off the night before, and you've not seen him since? Jake didn't take a wrong turn. He was right here in Cleveland, Tennessee. Home to 362 churches (literally) and enough prosperity that not one person should be underhoused or underfed.
I'll be wrestling though the implications of Scared for sometime. I recommend reading it.
2 comments:
Oh Merica you are so precious! I'm a straight up non-fiction girl too. Elle had been anticipating the Scared book and wanted to take it on her trip with her.....but, it wasn't released until June 2, and she was leaving on May28...such disappointment.....well--
she saw Tom with a box of newly arrived to his office Scared books on his blog and she said, "let's email him and ask him to fed-ex me one!" ------that totally never would have occurred to me, but I emailed him and he immediately emailed me back and said he was sending one right out!-----it arrived the next morning. ---you have not because you ask not--says James......we seriously love Tom!
I read the first 50 pages on the plane to DC ---not what a mama wants to read as she is sending her child into deep, dark Africa,--- but God spoke to me and said this is EXACTLY why I am sending her!
So, awesome---So---when can we plan a trip again together???? Miss you!!
wow...might have to pick it up before our trip! i'm gonna be a mess...i know it. we've been on this south korea or india next adoption kick, but now we're open to going back to ethiopia...this book may just seal the deal...who knows, we're still deciding and waiting on God's direction - we'll follow where ever he leads...
Post a Comment