Team Stum

Team Stum

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Amazing Race

Yet another disclaimer: Dummy me left Jake's computer charger in Bangalore, and every other form of technology we own needs to be charged. Thus, no pics or videos which is totally a shame because we have good stuff to share! The hotel loaner laptop is not so fab, but who can complain.

The Race: Thursday was the longest day of our lives. After a gut wrenching good bye at Ashraya, Jake accompanied Radhika to the passport office. He sat in a hot taxi for over 3 hours, but she did come out with the passport. Mistakingly, he told the driver to rush. Translate: go slow. Meanwhile, I checked us out of the hotel and requested a taxi. The taxi was loaded with our stuff to make the 8:45 flight. Jake pulls up at 7, and we realize there is no way. Ugh.

The folks at Daffodils rally around us trying to make something happen. We see online a later flight and decide to go for it. Things are looking up. Well, they were until the driver takes a wrong turn. We were headed to the airport via desolate dirt alleys in pitch dark in India. You know it is bad when your driver pulls over for directions. He also pulled over to fill up the car. I think my blood pressure would have sent me straight to the ER.

Anywho, we arrive at the airport to see that the flight we thought we were on is delayed. Yuck for everyone waiting, yay for us. Kingfisher airlines is grrrrreat. They not only got us on a full, delayed flight, they escorted all 4 of us through security and to the gate. Whew!! Once aboard, we realize we are on a delayed flight from 5pm--not even our flight at all. Again, I'm so sorry all these people had to wait in a hot airport, but it felt as if God truly parted the Red Sea for us. I sat for nearly 3 hours in utter amazement and His provision while angel child, Vismay, slept in my lap.

The doc: fast forward today. I only recount this because there are other families traveling after us who may appreciate the insanity. I must give a HUGE shout out to our hotel--the Shanti Home in Delhi. Never have we had such service and accomodations even in the US.

The visa process to the US requires a medical exam before the embassy interview. I get why they require it, but what they ask to be done is ridiculous. I shall write a thorough explanation to our representatives in Washington because I'm sure they will care. There are only 2 approved locations in all of Delhi to get this exam done, and we didn't hear great reports about the first one listed. The only other option is the Apollo Hospital. It was a 2 hour drive from our oasis of a hotel, but that's not so bad. For the sake of time, let me just list how it went.
1. Make an appointment (which I did before we left Bangalore) which required 4 transfers to other offices.
2. Have with you: passport (cuss, cuss, cuss), embassy appointment letter, at and 3 passport photos.
3. totally freak out about not having photos, but no time to do this
4. Arrive at a huge hospital with about 4.5 billion people in it.
5. Go to triage. Wait, wait, wait.
6. Get in big trouble for not having photos; get sent to lab to have them made 15 minutes away; props to a Kodak lab for being so efficient and pleasant.
7. Wait, wait, wait to see doctor
8. Talk doctor out of TB test. He saw the mama bear come out and backed down really fast.
9. Agree to only 3 shots and make our way to the pharmacy to buy the vaccines. Yes, seriously. 10. $150 dollars later, we go to the peds immunization room only to have two sisters (aka nurses) read the boxes with uncertain looks on their faces. Gulp.
11. Hold down my child whom I've known for 5 days while strangers poke holes in him.
12. Go back to 55th waiting area for them to say our report will be ready in 15 minutes. Please note our trooper children have had no food other than crackers. We sprint down to Coffee Day in the hospital to feed them a nutrition-packed brownie, and go back up to collect the report for the embassy.
13. The guy in charge of our file sees the nurses did not sign the vaccine report. You have got to be kidding me!!! Down we go again to get a signature.
14. FINALLY we get the report and get out of the hospital as fast as possible.

Sorry for the long, shaggy dog story. Strangely it was a good day with only 3 more to go. I think I can, I think I can ....

8 comments:

Kelly said...

YES.... He can... through you! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Sorry about your charger. Think you can find another one in Delhi? Glad to know you finally got out of Bangalore, but sorry to hear about all of the trouble today!

Looks like you got a really nice hotel, hopefully you'll be able to relax a little now.

Thanks again for checking into that for us. I'll let you know how it goes. "Merica" is now on the short-list :-)

Lynda said...

Your children and you all are impacting the Kingdom in a mighty, mighty way - - and we can understand why the enemy will try to thwart your plans but "Ye, are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." Praise God for your journaling and blogging. You will have the reminders of God's provision and timing as you witness to others.

Katie said...

I know you can, I know you can! Can't wait for you all to be HOME! :) Love you!

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

swear.on.my.life If I ever adopt you will have to come with me! and I may have you raise all of my children.

A Stafford said...

Wow! Surprised Ashraya didn't provide you with the pics--maybe didn't have time with the short passport time?? And too bad you didn't have a vaccination wavier--glad you made it through, though! Your boys must be real troopers!!

Anonymous said...

Yes you can...yes you can...He is walking each step of the way with you!!!! Thanks for keeping us updated on the Stum journey!!!
Holly

Vanessa said...

You're right. Adoptive parents will appreciate this story! Glad that part is over and you will be home soon.